Monday, February 4, 2013

Does Size Truly Matter?

Ok so in my spare time I do my best to catch up on all the reading I can regarding toy collecting. There are some really fantastic blogs and sites across the Internet that are always informing me of what is what. So about a week or so ago I read this little ditty about brand new 6 inch Star Wars figures. I mean this is all old news for some folks, but it has been on my mind lately because the idea of collecting a 6 inch line of Star Wars figures is like a dream come true. The smaller scale of Star Wars figures have always been fun and whatnot, but I really enjoy a larger scale line. I think the attention to detail is nicer and plus I am old. My raggedy old-broad vision can't keep squinting to look at tiny little figures.

Hasbro's willingness to add a larger scale for a beloved line has me hoping for the love to be spread throughout other fabled Hasbro lines. For example, am I alone in wanting a nice 6 inch collector line of G.I. Joe figures? I have long wanted larger scaled versions of the Baroness, Lady Jaye, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, and Zarana, to say nothing of folks like Cobra Commander and the usual bunch. But the thing is this, I feel like it is sacrilege to want something like that. For the longest time lines like G.I. Joe and Star Wars were either super small or Barbie sized.

So my question I guess is what are other collecting segments of the dorky communicating saying about such things? I would hardly consider myself a hardcore G.I. Joe fan, but I do like some of the characters and such. I have no idea though what everyone else thinks? I mean are there G.I. Joe fans that would like a larger scale line? What say you all? I am curious to know your thoughts. I mean not for nothin, I would also love a 5-6 inch Monster High line too. But I digress.

Anyways Toy Chest Tuesday will be back tomorrow! And in another related topic, I'm at it again... I have been working on customizing yet another figure and I will be sharing that very soon!

10 comments:

  1. The Joes I would want in a larger scale would be like the original Joes I had in the early 70s(some would call them dolls but they were action figures too dang it!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think at the end of the day "doll" and "action figure" both mean the same thing (at least to me) I think it just all depends on how comfortable folks are with things. I feel like they have released 12 inch G.I. Joe items every now and then, but I would have no problem with some nice new 12 inch G.I. Joe items.

      Delete
  2. I agree that the larger figures having more detail, but I guess I've had 3 3/4 figures for so long I am inclined to that format. Plus the larger figures are more expensive and are a pain to display. My 12" Joes and Lone Ranger are difficult to place next to the smaller ones. Maybe I'm just getting older .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the one thing I don't like about a larger scale figure is the price. The crazy thing is that 7 to 8 years ago, larger scaled figures cost what 3 3/4 cost now. lol It is just crazy to me!

      Delete
  3. I saw the 6-inch Star Wars line come across my news feed as well, Miss M. Very cool. It's funny because me and another collector buddy were just saying literally DAYS before that news hit, that it's insane that there's not a 6 to 7 inch line of Star Wars figures aimed at adult collectors. It just seems to me that it would be like printing money. The thought hadn't occurred to me about G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero 6-inch line, but that would be freaking awesome. That Sigma Six line G.I. Joe had out a few years ago was really cool, but cartoony. I would totally buy a 6-inch collector Joe line. My wife would have yet another fit. I've made the decision already about the new Star Wars line that I am only going after the Sith Lords. I just can't afford to get back into Star Wars full force (pun intended) while my teenage daughters are draining our funds on literally a daily basis. Great post, Miss M - I've missed ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the Sigma Six line. I never got into it because they never had like Scarlett or Lady Jaye or something. lol But I'm with you, I doubt I will be collecting every Star Wars figure from the 6 inch line. I will only be after certain characters, but I'm like that with everything. And thank you for the comment, it is nice to hear from you!

      Delete
  4. Although I'm not a fan of Star Wars, I'm glad that fans have a chance at large, more detailed figures.

    I am a huge fan of G.I. Joe and although there is something special about the small figures, I would like a few in a 6 inch scale; Baroness, Scarlett, Destro, Major Bludd and a good Cobra Commander--maybe an Alley Viper too! A "Joe" figure at this scale would be good to show some detail and maybe a little more articulation.
    The doll-sized "Joes" that are on the market now (I think they are made by Sideshow) are really amazing with the extent of detail and sculpting, however, you have to mortgage the house just to have one.

    I look at it this way, if they make a larger scale of figures, that's more than fine, if they make one or six that I want to get, that is even better, but I still like the 3 3/4 the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think some 6 inch scaled G.I. Joe figures would be fun. What I like about 3 3/4 scaled figures is that there are many more options for more figures and stuff. And you are right, those larger scale Joes are very expensive. They look cool though.

      Delete
  5. I grew up where no figures were less than eight inches tall. I just got used to all the cloth costume and accessories. Then when the original 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figures came out they were all painted with little detail to the faces and very tiny accessories. I was not impressed so I passed them buy. When I started collecting figures again it was because of a beautiful 6 inch Doctor Strange. I too would like so see a six inch Monsters High line. I get most all six inch female superheroes that Marvel and DC put out so they would be a nice addition. Despite the detail, I don't like the Marvel Universe figures because of their size. Odly enough I love the size and packaging of the Masters of the Universe Line from Matty Collectibles. They have the right heft for a toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kal, I am so happy you like the idea of a six inch line for Monster High! I think with all the articulation and everything, it would be perfect. Plus, I just have a lot of 12 inch dolls, and I am somewhat tired of collecting that scale. And there is a nice amount of heft to the MOTUC line isn't there? I just can't wait to see them had more She-Ra characters in the future. I do collect some of the Marvel Universe line, but the detail is always so hit and miss.

      Delete